Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Frogging Minxy's sweater

Oh a project I love to hate.

I started this sweater back in 2005 because I wanted to make something for my friend while I was up visiting her. Unluckily for me, she fell head over heels in love with TLC Wiggles yarn. For those of you who don't know, it's a lovely worsted weight yarn with bumpy lumpy caterpillars of thread wound around it. Multi-colored, rainbow explosions of thread "wiggles" randomly interspersed through the yarn. Ugh.

Why ugh? Simple, crochet hooks love to catch them wrong and break the thread or get it aaaaaaaaall tangled up into an impossible never to be salvaged mess. To make the whole thing worse, while I started it in Canada, I did a good bit of it while stuck on a plane... on the tarmac... in the blistering summer heat. I lost count, alot, which led to lots of bumps and puckers where you don't want them. Not good. Plus I was also making it up as I went along instead of using anything resembling a pattern or guideline. Even more not good. I was using single crochet for the stitch. One guaranteed to make the project last forever. Then, to top it all off, when I got home and had a mere cap sleeve to finish, I misplaced the scribbled hieroglyphics resembling directions and completely forgot what hook size I was using. If you're guessing recipe for disaster, you'd win a Kewpie doll.

The sweater then proceeded to sit in my guilt laden dreaded UFO pile and was eventually banished to yarn totes in the storage bin until today. Why today? Simple, I'm leaving in two weeks to go vist Shel again and I've decided that I'm taking the yarn with me and FINISHING a sweater for her. I'll use an I or J hook, half double crochet stitches and the handy template from the lovely "Sweet Sweater" on Crochet Me! Yes, I have a plan... one that can only take effect after doing one thing. Frogging Minxy's sweater.

No comments: